2018 BMW R1200GS
Stock Image: Light White
1200 GS. Icon meets progress, perfection meets passion.
The R 1200 GS is THE GS. This model founded the dual-sport motorcycle segment – and is still leading it confidently today. The versatile road performance and comfort in any terrain, combined with the legendary robustness and the expertise from over 36 years of GS development result in a motorcycle that does not shy away from competitors. Numerous test triumphs and technical magazine awards prove why it’s no accident that the “GS” model is one of the top-selling motorcycles worldwide in its category. The new model includes enhanced touring suitability and off-road performance. More comfort, more dynamics and more fun.
The engine – indescribable.
Tried, tested and proven under the highest strain again and again: the twin-cylinder boxer engine with 125 HP (92 kW) is noticeably efficient and has very high torque – for noticeable riding enjoyment in any situation. The boxer is not only legendary for its reliability, it is also known for being extremely good-natured. The wet clutch with anti-hopping function and the electronic throttle facilitate a fine dosage of power. Why not try it out on a test ride?
The handling – unmatched.
The firm main frame with the engine as a supporting element ensures a low center of gravity. This in turn alleviates handling while at the same time retaining enormous lane stability. The paralever and telelever suspension elements provide perfectly tuned damping performance on a variety of terrain. And with the new electronic riding support systems like the reworked Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA), the R 1200 GS once again sets benchmarks for riding enjoyment at the touch of a button.
Rain and Road riding modes as well as the automatic stability control (ASC) are standard and allow the motorcycle to adapt and optimally suit the circumstances. Optional Ride Modes Pro, like the Enduro and Dynamic modes, provide even more opportunities for adjusting the riding characteristics to your personal riding style. It also includes Hill Start Control, which prevents the bike from rolling backwards on an incline, and Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), which also accounts for the bike’s lean-angle, supporting safety and riding dynamics. ABS Pro is also included in the Ride Modes Pro option, which helps when cornering to apply the proper amount of ABS braking to assist in diffusing hazardous situations.
Personalization – irreplaceable.
One thing always remains the same: the R 1200 GS is robust, dynamic and full of character. New paint finishes and high-quality surfaces also highlight the striking GS design. And this is a good thing. But whether it's elegant tank trims, front wheel spray protection, GS moldings or new frame and body colors – the R 1200 GS has never been as diverse as this. The 2017 model adds new styles and package options. The Exclusive style adds visual highlights and places the focus on a confident appearance and touring with high-quality materials and details. The Rallye style does exactly what you would expect, and ambitious off-road riders will be very pleased. An extensive range of optional accessories, including Keyless Ride, useful off-road accessories, and even luggage systems are now available to better adjust the GS to your own desires.
- Type: Air/liquid-cooled 4-stroke flat twin engine with balancer shaft, four valves per cylinder, double overhead camshaft, wet sump lubrication
- Bore x stroke: 101 mm x 73 mm
- Capacity: 1,170 cc
- Rated output: 125 hp (92 kW) at 7,750 rpm
- Max. torque: 92 lb-ft (125 Nm) at 6,500 rpm
- Compression ratio: 12.5 : 1
- Mixture control / engine management: Electronic fuel injection with ride-by-wire throttle system
- Emission control: Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-4
- Maximum speed: Over 125 mph (200 km/h)
- Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h: 47.4 MPG (WMTC)
- Fuel type: Premium Unleaded
- Alternator: Three-phase 510 W generator
- Battery: 12 V / 11.8 Ah, maintenance-free
- Clutch: Multi-plate wet clutch, hydraulically operated
- Gearbox: Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical cut gears
- Drive: Shaft drive
- Frame: Two-section frame, front frame and bolted on rear frame, load-bearing engine
- Front wheel location / suspension: BMW Motorrad Telelever; stanchion diameter 37 mm, central spring strut
- Rear wheel location / suspension: Cast aluminum single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; WAD strut (travel-related damping), spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) via handwheel, rebound damping adjustable via handwheel
- Suspension travel front / rear: 7.5 in. / 7.9 in. (190 mm / 200 mm)
- Wheelbase: 59.3 in. (1,507 mm)
- Castor: 3.9 in. (99.6 mm)
- Steering head angle: 64.5 deg.
- Wheels: Cast aluminum
- Rim, front: 3.00 x 19 in.
- Rim, rear: 4.50 x 17 in.
- Tires, front: 120/70 R 19
- Tires, rear: 170/60 R 17
- Brake, front: Dual floating disc brakes, diameter 305 mm, 4-piston radial calipers
- Brake, rear: Single disc brake, diameter 276 mm, dual-piston floating caliper
- ABS: BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral, can be switched off)
- Length: 86.9 in. (2,207 mm)
- Width (incl. mirrors): 37.5 in. (952.5 mm)
- Height (excl. mirrors): 55.6 in. (1,412 mm)
- Seat height, unladen weight: 33.5 in./34.3 in. (850 / 870 mm, adjustable standard seat height); variable seat heights available between 31.5 in./32.3 in. (800 mm/ 820 mm, adjustable height with lowered suspension) and 35.1 in. (890 mm) (available as accessories and/or factory options, see an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer)
- Inner leg curve, unladen weight: 73.6 in./75.2 in. (1870 / 1910 mm, adjustable standard seat height); variable seat heights available between 68.9 in./70.5 in. (1750 / 1790 mm, adjustable height with lowered suspension) and 76.8 in. (1950 mm) (available as accessories and/or factory options, see an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer)
- Unladen weight, road ready, fully fueled: 538 lb. (244 kg)
- Permitted total weight: 1,014 lb. (460 kg)
- Payload (with standard equipment): 476 lb. (216 kg)
- Usable tank volume: 5.3 gal. (20 L)
- Reserve: Approx. 1 gal. (4 L)
- Engine Type
- 4-stroke flat twin engine with balancer shaft, four valves per cylinder, double overhead camshaft, wet sump lubrication
- 1,170 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 101 mm x 73 mm
- Compression Ratio
- 12.5 : 1
- Fuel System
- Electronic fuel injection with ride-by-wire throttle system
- Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical cut gears
- Final Drive
- Shaft drive 2.91:1
- Front Suspension
- BMW Telelever, Ø 37 mm, central spring strut
- Rear Suspension
- Cast aluminum single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; WAD strut (travel-related damping), spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) via handwheel, rebound damping adjustable via handwheel
- Front Brakes
- Dual floating disc brakes, diameter 305 mm, 4-piston radial calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single disc brake, diameter 276 mm, dual-piston floating caliper
- Front Tire
- 120/70 R 19
- Rear Tire
- 170/60 R 17
- 59.3 in. (1,507 mm)
- Seat Height
- 33.5 in. / 34.3 in. (850 / 870 mm)
- 3.9 in. (99.6 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 5.3 gal. (20 L)
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 538 lb. (244 kg)
- Black Storm Metallic, Light White