2017 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Stock Image: Racing Red Matt
You like extreme and long tours? On rough roads, over stony tracks out in the wild, too? Tarmac, offroad, stones and sand: These are the challenges the new BMW R1200GS Adventure is longing to master with its easy and agile handling. A machine for those who want to test their limits and go beyond them. Or to put it briefly: A motorcycle for riders who are seeking real adventure and don't want to miss out on a great deal of riding pleasure in the process.
Conquer any type of terrain on an enduro which meets all your practical needs. Two standard-fitted ride modes – "Rain" and "Road" – are available at the press of a button and offer two completely different, finely tuned riding experiences. It's like having two motorcycles in one. Further riding modes are also available as an option.
30 litres in the fuel tank combined with the engine's optimised fuel efficiency really make you "unstoppable" on and off the road making unwanted stops a thing of the past. In addition the standard level of equipment was improved, e.g. to include an on-board computer. This enables perfect navigation and provides the rider with useful data such as fuel level, speed and fuel consumption.
This travel enduro is rounded off by a newly integrated compartment above the tank which allows you to keep small items within reach at all times.
The R1200GS Adventure responds dynamically in any situation thanks to the legendary 125 Nm of flat-twin torque and 125 bhp delivered by the new, water-cooled 2-cylinder 4-stroke engine.
The R1200GS is also characterised by its unmistakable design, further improved seating comfort, wind and weather protection and by its muscular presence. It is available in three colour versions: Ocean blue metallic matt, Racing red matt and Light white.
The R1200GS Adventure. Make an impression. Everywhere.
- Type: Air/liquid-cooled four stroke flat twin engine, double overhead camshaft, one balance shaft
- Bore x stroke: 101 mm x 73 mm
- Capacity: 1,170 cc
- Rated output: 92 kW (125 hp) at 7,750 rpm
- Max. torque: 92 lb-ft (125 Nm) at 6,500 rpm
- Compression ratio: 12.5 : 1
- Mixture control / engine management: Electronic intake pipe injection
- Maximum speed: Over 125 mph (200 km/h)
- Fuel type: Unleaded super, octane number 95 (RON)
- Alternator: Three-phase alternator (510 watts nominal power)
- Battery: 12 V / 11.8 Ah, maintenance-free
- Clutch: Oil lubricated clutch, hydraulically operated
- Gearbox: Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical gear teeth
- Drive: Shaft drive
- Frame: Two-section frame, front- and bolted on rear frame, load-bearing engine
- Front wheel location / suspension: BMW Motorrad Telelever; stanchion diameter 37 mm, central spring strut
- Rear wheel location / suspension: Cast aluminium single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; WAD strut (travel-related damping), spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) at handwheel, rebound damping adjustable at handwheel
- Suspension travel front / rear: 8.3 in / 8.7 in (210 mm / 220 mm)
- Wheelbase: 59.4 in. (1,510 mm)
- Castor: 3.6 in. (92.7 mm)
- Steering head angle: 65.5 deg.
- Wheels: Cross spoke wheels
- Rim, front: 3.00 x 19 in.
- Rim, rear: 4.50 x 17 in.
- Tires, front: 120/70 R 19
- Tires, rear: 170/60 R 17
- Brake, front: Dual floating discs, diameter 305 mm, 4-piston radial calipers
- Brake, rear: Single disc, diameter 276 mm, double-piston floating caliper
- ABS: BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral), disengageable
- Length: 88.8 in. (2,255 mm)
- Width (incl. mirrors): 38.6 in. (980 mm)
- Height (excl. mirrors): 57.1 in. (1,450 mm)
- Seat height, unladen weight: 35.0 / 35.8 in. (890 / 910 mm)
- Inner leg curve, unladen weight: 76.8 / 78.3 in. (1,950 / 1,990 mm)
- Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled: 573 lb. (263 kg)
- Permitted total weight: 1,058 lb. (480 kg)
- Payload (with standard equipment): 485 lb. (217 kg)
- Usable tank volume: 7.9 gal. (30 L)
- Reserve: approx. 1 gal. (4 L)
- Engine Type
- Four stroke flat twin engine, double overhead camshaft, one balance shaft
- 1,170 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 101 mm x 73 mm
- Compression Ratio
- 12.5 : 1
- Fuel System
- Electronic intake pipe injection
- Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical gear teeth
- Final Drive
- Shaft drive
- Front Suspension
- BMW Motorrad Telelever; stanchion diameter 37 mm, central spring strut
- Rear Suspension
- Cast aluminium single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; WAD strut (travel-related damping), spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) at handwheel, rebound damping adjustable at handwheel
- Front Brakes
- Dual floating discs, diameter 305 mm, 4-piston radial calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single disc, diameter 276 mm, double-piston floating caliper
- Front Tire
- 120/70 R 19
- Rear Tire
- 170/60 R 17
- 59.4 in. (1,510 mm)
- Seat Height
- 35.0 / 35.8 in. (890 / 910 mm)
- 3.6 in. (92.7 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 7.9 gal. (30 L)
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 573 lb. (260 kg)
- Racing Red Matt, Light White