2015 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-6R 30TH ANN
Thirty years ago, the Kawasaki 600 Ninja literally invented the 600cc supersport segment, which today remains one of the benchmark performance classes in the world. Now for 2015, Kawasaki celebrates three decades of racing wins and championships with a very special 30th Anniversary Ninja® ZX™-6R, the ultimate expression of the Ninja’s “Forever Fearless” attitude in the middleweight sportbike class. Building on the current ZX-6R platform, the 2015 edition features exclusive styling touches that uniquely identify it as the powerful descendent of the motorcycle that truly started it all.
• Class-leading Supersport performance and styling deliver an abundant dose of street potency
• 636cc inline-four offers racetrack-ready power yet extremely flexible delivery on the street
• Selectable engine power modes allow riders to adjust power delivery to riding conditions
• Three-mode KTRC traction control puts the power to the pavement whether it’s dry and grippy or rain-slick
• Showa Separate Function Fork - Big Piston (SFF-BP) offers light weight, easy adjustability and smoother initial suspension tracking
• Nissin one-piece “monobloc” radial-mount front brake calipers and radial-pump front brake master cylinder offer superb braking modulation with a direct feel at the lever
• F.C.C. clutch with assist function offers light clutch pull and strong clamping force for less clutch slippage under acceleration while slipper function minimizes wheel chatter caused by aggressive downshifting
• Aggressive styling and sharp, aerodynamic bodywork clearly shouts: “Performance Counts!”
• Lightweight twin-spar aluminum frame places the engine in the optimum position for superb handling and rider feedback and also features a 23.5-degree rake angle for quick steering response, maximum maneuverability and to deliver clear communication from the front tire
• Reduced friction steering stem seals for easy steering inputs and noticeably improved low speed handling
• 636cc displacement uses a long stroke to boost engine performance throughout the rev range. Low-mid range torque is especially impressive, and provides satisfying real world performance
• Digital Fuel Injection (DFI®) system features four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies with oval sub-throttles and dual throttle valves for smooth response and maximum power
• Chromoly steel camshafts are light, strong and durable
• Piston crown enhances strength and accommodates the high valve lift
• 12.9:1 compression ratio is optimum for this engine’s bore & stroke
• Molybdenum coating on piston skirts reduces friction and facilitates engine break-in
• Strong connecting rods suit the power delivery of this engine
• High-performance airbox design contributes to peak power and smooth power delivery
• Single-bore intake funnels improve low-mid range torque. Two different funnel shapes (outer are the same, inner are the same) help deliver optimized throttle response
• Ultra-fine atomizing injectors help ensure complete air-fuel mixing and maximum combustion efficiency. Optimum tuning contributes to reduced emissions
• Balance tubes on all four header pipes to maximize low-end torque
• Exhaust pre-chamber makes efficient use of space, reduces exhaust noise and allows a smaller muffler to be used
• Triangular cross-section muffler provides sufficient internal volume while still offering good ground clearance and maximum lean angle, as well as a compact appearance
• Generator designed to produce less heat and reduce mechanical loss
• Zero-cross control voltage regulator significantly reduces the amount of electronic noise produced when it interrupts the generator’s output
• Cassette-type transmission helps simplify ratio-swaps and reduce set-up time at the track
• Lightweight EK 520 RMX/3D x-ring drive chain is very compact and uses lightening holes on the inner link plates to reduce weight.
Selectable Power Modes
• Power mode selector on the left clip-on gives ZX-6R riders the option to choose between “Full” and “Low” engine power delivery modes to suit their needs
• Output at low rpm is the same in both modes, but “Low” mode limits peak engine output to approximately 80% and gives a softer throttle response. “Full” mode allows the full performance potential of the engine to be unleashed
Three-Mode Kawasaki Traction Control (KTRC)
• Three-mode KTRC traction control combines the best high tech elements of the Ninja ZX-10R S-KTRC and ZX-14R/Concours® 14 KTRC systems.
• Three different modes are tuned to cover a wide-range of situations from advanced racetrack use, to normal street riding, to mixed/slippery conditions, for enhanced rider confidence
• Mode 1 is tuned to allow a degree of wheel slip to achieve maximize acceleration, like the ZX-10R S-KTRC system
• Mode 2 is tuned to help provide a balance of performance with minimal wheel slip
• Mode 3 prioritizes slip elimination, similar to the Concours14 ABS sport touring KTRC system, for enhanced rider confidence in mixed or slippery conditions
• The KTRC system may also be turned-off completely, at the rider’s discretion
• Handy mode selector on the left clip-on makes it easy for the rider to change KTRC settings
• Using complex programming algorithms, the KTRC system is able to predict impending wheelspin and act before slippage exceeds the optimum range, allowing reductions in power to be minimized for ultra-smooth operation
• In modes 1 and 2, conditions are analyzed 200 times per second and any necessary adjustments are made through ignition timing alone, for extremely quick response from the engine and KTRC system
• In Mode 3, the system functions like mode 2 under most conditions, but when excessive rear wheel spin is detected, Mode 3 switches to complete three-way control of ignition timing, fuel delivery and intake airflow to regulate engine output to a level that allows the rear wheel to regain grip. By controlling the sub-throttles in the intake tract for precise torque management, a smooth and natural feeling can be attained: Mode 3 intervention and on/off transitions are very smooth to help maintain stability
• The system uses minimal hardware supplemented by advanced software. In addition to the engine’s ECU, the system only requires front and rear wheel speed sensors, meaning minimal additional weight is required for traction control.
F.C.C. Clutch with Assist and Slipper Functions
• F.C.C. clutch with assist & slipper functions uses two types of cams, an assist cam and a slipper cam that were developed based on racetrack testing and rider feedback
• The F.C.C. clutch’s “assist” cam acts like a self-servo mechanism, pulling the clutch hub and operating plate together to compress the clutch plates under load. This allows the total clutch spring count and pressure to be reduced, resulting in up to a 25% reduction in effort at the clutch lever
• The assist cam also increases the torque capacity of the clutch so it can cope with the extra torque produced by the 636cc engine, without gaining any weight
• The F.C.C. clutch’s “slipper” cam reduces the clamping force on the clutch hub and operating plate when back-torque conditions are present and helps prevent rear wheel hop on trailing-throttle and when down-shifting
• Spring plate assembly provides smoother engagement and helps minimize clutch judder
Separate Function Fork – Big Piston: (SFF-BP)
• SFF-BP fork combines the features of Showa’s big piston and separate function forks, featuring springs on both sides, with dedicated preload adjustability in the left tube and dedicated damping pistons and adjustability in the right tube
• Big Piston design provides smooth action during the initial part of the stroke and contributes to excellent feel during heavy braking. The large-diameter damper piston is much bigger than those used in traditional “cartridge” forks
• Big Piston design allows the fork oil to act on a much larger surface area, so the damping pressure can be reduced without compromising effectiveness. Reducing the damping pressure allows the slider to react more smoothly, which is especially noticeable during the initial part of the stroke. The result is greater control as the fork begins to compress and very calm response during braking-induced weight-transfer, for greater chassis stability on corner entry
• Fork settings were tuned for maximum effectiveness on twisty roads, allowing a high level of performance for the racetrack, with a comfortable ride in the city and on the highway
• SFF-BP design offers much easier adjustability, by locating all adjusters in the caps at the top of the two fork tubes: preload on the left; compression and rebound damping on the right.
Bottom-link Uni-Trak® Rear suspension
• Bottom-link Uni-Trak® rear suspension offers 5.3 inches of travel and features a gas-charged shock
• Rear spring features a softer rate to enhance ride comfort and compliance when the road isn’t racetrack-smooth
• Rear suspension linkage has a high leverage ratio for improved rear ride comfort
• Full adjustability includes: stepless compression and rebound damping adjustments and fully adjustable spring preload. The top of the shock is also threaded and captured between nuts to allow for adjustable ride height
• Lightweight twin-spar aluminum frame places the engine in the optimum position for superb handling and rider feedback
• A 23.5 degree rake angle helps quicken steering response, enhance maneuverability and delivers clear communication from the front tire
• Low friction steering stem seals for easy steering inputs and light low speed handling
• Intake resonator box and supports for the instrument panel and mirrors are unitized with the ram air duct, contributing to weight savings and increased rigidity
• Forward-tilted engine layout gives a steep intake angle and excellent center of gravity
• The sub-frame is a lightweight two-piece aluminum die-casting and is very narrow for a compact and slim rear profile
• Front fairing features a sharp design that communicates an aggressive image
• Large fairing openings provide increased airflow and enhanced heat dissipation
• Lower fairing, rear cowl, and assorted blacked-out panels contribute to the bike’s compact and lightweight appearance
• One-piece front fender offers excellent aerodynamics
• Projector beam headlights feature sharp looking housings with integrated position lamps
• Front turn signals are built into the bodywork and compact rear turn signals complement the minimalist tail section
• Compact LED taillight is lightweight, very bright and offers modern high-tech appearance
• Inner fender above the swingarm helps to reduce turbulence and helps keep the undertail clean
• Instrument panel gives at-a-glance information to the rider. An analog-style tachometer is complemented by a multi-function LCD screen
• LCD functions include KTRC, Power Mode and Economical Riding (ECO) indicators
• Additional LCD functions include a digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meter, clock, instant and average fuel consumption, coolant temperature, and shift indicator, traction control activity and low-fuel warning lamps
• Large gear position indicator gives instant numerical gear confirmation
• Mirror design offers increased rearward visibility without increasing overall vehicle width
• Ergonomic seat-peg-bar layout places the handlebars close to the rider and the footpegs in a moderate rearset position for an intuitive high-performance riding position that is comfortable enough for everyday use
• Fuel tank is flared around its top, similar to the ZX-10R, providing a large contact patch for transmitting excellent feedback to the rider
• Slim-waisted fuel tank makes it easy for the rider to grip the tank with their knees, or to hang off in turns
• Front of seat is narrow and low for a slim riding position and a short reach to the pavement
Genuine Kawasaki Accessories
• An adjustable Öhlins twin-tube steering damper is available as an accessory, to help ensure stable damping performance and superb kickback absorption, even under race conditions.
• A taller, “bubble” windscreen is available to provide enhanced aerodynamic protection
• Frame sliders/engine guards are available to help protect the engine and chassis
• Axle sliders are available to help protect the fork legs and front brakes
• A stylish color-matched seat cowl is available and mounts in place of the rear seat to enhance the visual aggression of the Ninja ZX-6R
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, Inline-four
- Displacement: 636cc
- Bore x stroke: 67.0 x 45.1mm
- Compression ratio: 12.9:1
- Fuel injection: DFI® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies and oval sub-throttles
- Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final drive: 520 series sealed chain
- Rake / trail: 23.5 deg. / 4.0 in.
- Frame type: Aluminum perimeter
- Front tire: 120/70 ZR17
- Rear tire: 180/55 ZR17
- Wheelbase: 54.9 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm inverted Showa SFF-BP fork with top-out springs, stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Bottom-link Uni-Trak® with gas-charged shock, stepless compression damping adjustment, 25-way adjustable rebound damping, fully adjustable spring preload / 5.3 in.
- Front brakes: Dual 310mm petal rotors with dual radial-mount, Nissin four-piston, monobloc calipers
- Rear brake: Single 220mm petal rotor with single-piston caliper
- Overall length: 82.1 in.
- Overall width: 27.8 in.
- Overall height: 43.9 in.
- Fuel capacity: 4.5 gal.
- Seat height: 32.7 in.
- Curb weight: 423 lb.
- Color choices: Lime Green / Pearl Stardust White
- Warranty: 12 Months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, Inline-four
- Bore and Stroke
- 67.0 x 45.1mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- DFI® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies and oval sub-throttles
- TCBI with digital advance
- Front Suspension
- 41mm inverted Showa SFF-BP fork with top-out springs, stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable spring preload
- Rear Suspension
- Bottom-link Uni-Trak® with gas-charged shock, stepless compression damping adjustment, 25-way adjustable rebound damping, fully adjustable spring preload
- Front Brakes
- Dual 310mm petal rotors with dual radial-mount, Nissin four-piston, monobloc calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single 220mm petal rotor with single-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- 120/70 ZR17
- Rear Tire
- 180/55 ZR17
- 54.9 in.
- Seat Height
- 32.7 in.
- 23.5 deg.
- 4.0 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.5 gal.
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 423 lb.
- Final Drive
- 520 series sealed chain
- Standard: Digital
- Standard: Analog
- Standard: Digital
- Lime Green / Pearl Stardust White
- 12 Months