2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200 ABS Travel Pack
Race experience combined with technology
Using years of experience gained from competing at the very top, Aprilia has made their technology available and accessible for everyone on the Caponord 1200. The electronic systems which are unique for their ease of use, effectiveness and reliability, include the Ride by Wire multi-map throttle, Traction Control and two-channel ABS.
Caponord 1200 Travel Pack - The Perfect Bike for Travelling
The Caponord 1200 Travel Pack is Aprilia at its best in terms of technology, fun and comfort and attains that perfect point of equilibrium between sport and comfort that so many modern day motorcyclists long for. It is the perfect bike for travelling, having fun and for day-to-day use. Fast and fun outside the city thanks to the abundant power from its twin-cylinder engine, extremely comfortable for both rider and passenger when touring thanks to the carefully studied ergonomic layout and to the protection from air-flow, the Aprilia Caponord 1200 Travel Pack includes the most complete and sophisticated electronic control system suite currently available. These specially designed, easy to use technologies optimise comfort, increase safety and fun while in no way detracting from the feel the rider has with the bike. This all comes at a truly competitive price which soon becomes exceptional if you consider the quality of the equipment that is rounded off with a pair of colour coded panniers and a centre stand.
90° V Engine - Ultracompact Twin
The Aprilia V twin engine has been significantly modified to better suit the engine characteristics and has been manufactured with highly advanced manufacturing technology. Great attention has been paid to internal flow dynamics to improve combustion, reduce friction and optimise performance. Even from low revs, the smooth power delivery improves rider comfort and enhances the riding experience thanks to the high degree of torque available. What this means is more fun with better fuel consumption figures.
The triple engine mapping system, which the rider can select even with the bike in motion, lets the rider choose from three distinct personalities each of which can instantly adapt to any possible riding requirement.
• TOURING: fluid power delivery ideal for everyday riding and touring
• SPORT: maximum performance with smooth direct power delivery
• RAIN: maximum control and safety in conditions of poor grip
Mixed Structure Layout - Handling and Stability
The layout consists of a mixture of a high resistance tubular steel frame fastened to cast aluminium side plates. This configuration offers a perfect balance between weight and the optimal values of torsional and longitudinal stiffness which add to handling and stability. The new rear subframe ensures stability when travelling fully loaded while the lateral positioning of the shock absorber which fastens the frame to the aluminium swingarm leaves plenty of room for the exhaust manifold. As part of the Caponord 1200 Travel Pack, the forks and shock absorber are electronically controlled by the aDD (Aprilia Dynamic Damping) system.
aDD - Maximum Sophistication and Reliability
While the Caponord 1200 comes already fitted with a wide range of standard equipment, the Travel Pack version adds a set of 29 litre colour coded panniers, a centre stand, aCC cruise control and the very latest aDD semi-active suspension system with the rear suspension being 100% active (the first motorbike with such a system). aDD (Aprilia Dynamic Damping) is the very latest electronic suspension control system developed by Aprilia and covered by four patents. It is the benchmark in the motorcycling world as regards technology, efficiency and reliability.
aDD has two main objectives: one is to maximise comfort and the other is to enhance the rideability and safety of the machine. The system measures the energy transmitted to the bike from the road surface and, in real time, adjusts the hydraulic calibration of the forks and shock absorber to always provide the best possible suspension settings depending on the riding style at that moment, the load being carried and the amount of grip available. To achieve maximum performance at any fork and shock absorber operating frequency, ADD uses a patented “MIX” "comfort oriented" algorithm which combines the principles of the well known skyhook and acceleration driven damping algorithms.
In addition to comfort, rideability is also optimised and safety is increased thanks to further software strategies which are tied directly to the rider's actions. In fact, the system recognises different riding phases (acceleration, throttle release, braking, constant throttle) and adjusts the baseline fork and shock absorber settings thanks to yet another patent which allows specific hydraulic calibration curves to be defined within the adjustment range. Aprilia is also the first motorcycle manufacturer in the world to introduce a completely "active" shock absorber which can automatically its spring preload setting. The same multi-function digital instrument panel as fitted to the Caponord 1200 is also found on the Caponord 1200 Travel Pack.
Caponord 1200 Travel Pack - Distinctive Design
The typically Italian personality of the design combines with a slimline body and a sporting look that highlights the sheer style of the bike. The handguards are especially useful and provide extra comfort when touring as do the side panels which have been designed be to unobtrusive but offer good protection. The relaxed upright riding position is the result of ergonomic research for a posture that allows the rider to completely control the bike without tiring over long distances. The design concept from the start was to make the panniers an integral part of the bike: this, along with deliberately positioning the silencer low in the layout contributes to significantly reducing overall bulk and provides the perfect position for the rider's legs. The set of colour coded panniers needs no additional brackets or fixings thus leaving the line of the bike clean when the panniers are removed.
- Type: Aprilia V90 four-stroke longitudinal 90° V-twin engine, liquid cooled, double overhead camshaft with mixed gear/chain timing system, four valves per cylinder
- Capacity: 1197 cc
- Max power (at crankshaft): 125 HP (91.9 kW) at 8,250 rpm
- Max torque (at crankshaft): 84.6 lb-ft (114 Nm) at 6,800 rpm
- Fuel system: Integrated engine management system. Injection with two injectors per cylinder and Ride by Wire throttle control with three maps: Sport (S), Touring (T), Rain (R)
- Exhaust system: 100% stainless steel 2-in-1 exhaust system with dual catalytic converters and double oxygen sensor
- Alternator: 690 W/6000 rpm
- Gearbox: 6 speeds
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Clutch: Multiplate wet clutch, hydraulically operated
- Traction management: Aprilia Traction Control (ATC)
- Frame: Modular tubular steel frame fastened to aluminium side plates by high strength bolts. Removable steel rear subframe
- Front suspension: Fully adjustable front Sachs 43 mm upside-down fork. Hydraulic brake in rebound and compression electronically managed with ADD (Aprilia Dynamic Damping)
- Rear suspension: Aluminium alloy swingarm, Sachs dynamic rear monoshock absorber. Adjustable or automatic setting for spring preload coupled with electronically controlled rebound and compression dampening via ADD (Aprilia Dynamic Damping)
- Front brake: Dual 320 mm stainless steelÆ floating discs. New 32 mm Brembo M432 monoblock four-piston radial calipers. Metal braided brake hoses.
- Rear brake: 240 mm stainless steelÆ disc. Brembo 34 mm single piston calliper. Metal braided brake hose.
- ABS: Continental two channel ABS system and Aprilia Traction Control (ATC).
- Wheels: Lightweight aluminum alloy with three split spokes. Front: 3.50 X 17 in. Rear: 6.00 x 17 in.
- Front tire: Radial tubeless; 120/70-R17
- Rear tire: Radial tubeless; 180/55-17
- Max. Length: 88.3 in. (2,245 mm)
- Max. Width: 56.6 in. (1,440 mm)
- Seat height: 33 in. (840 mm)
- Dry weight: 502 lb. (228kg)
- Fuel tank capacity: 6.3 gal. (24 L)
- Standard Equipment: ABS, aprilia Traction Control (aTC), Aprilia Dynamic Damping (aDD), aprilia Cruise Control (aCC), central stand, painted side bags (29 + 29 lt), Full LCD instrument pannel, Adjustable windshield, Hand Guards.
- Warranty: All 2014 and newer Aprilia Motorcycles include a 2-year unlimited-mileage warranty. *Limits are outlined in the warranty booklet. See dealer for details
- Roadside Assistance: 1 Free Year of Road Side Assistance provided by Road America.
- Approval: EPA and CARB.
- Engine Type
- Aprilia V90 four-stroke longitudinal 90 deg. V-twin engine, double overhead camshaft with mixed gear/chain timing system, four valves per cylinder
- 1197 cc
- Fuel System
- Integrated engine management system. Injection with two injectors per cylinder and Ride by Wire throttle control
- Front Suspension
- Fully adjustable front Sachs 43 mm upside-down fork. Hydraulic brake in rebound and compression electronically managed with ADD (Aprilia Dynamic Damping)
- Rear Suspension
- Aluminium alloy swingarm, Sachs dynamic rear monoshock absorber. Adjustable or automatic setting for spring preload coupled with electronically controlled rebound and compression dampening via ADD (Aprilia Dynamic Damping)
- Front Brakes
- Dual 320 mm stainless steelÆ floating discs. New 32 mm Brembo M432 monoblock four-piston radial calipers. Metal braided brake hoses.
- Rear Brakes
- 240 mm stainless steelÆ disc. Brembo 34 mm single piston calliper. Metal braided brake hose.
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- Seat Height
- 33 in. (840 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 6.3 gal. (24 L)
- Dry Weight
- 502 lb. (228 kg)
- 6 speeds
- Formula Red, Glam White
- 2-year unlimited-mileage warranty